Sunday, July 05, 2009

Accidents Happen

So I've been volunteering at this summer school that my church runs on campus. The school in itself is well run - the staff is mostly graduates who've taken time to volunteer themselves to teach and take care of kids (K - 6th grade).

I am tasked as a volunteer to: feed the children and then supervise their play time at various playgrounds and pools.

As of now:

Most of my time has been spent playing with the kindergarten and 1st grade classes. The kindergarten class has taken to call me "ajussi" (most of them are korean) which usually refers to me being an old man. I have also trained a number of children within the class to stand attention (as in the army). I mean it's not like I TAUGHT them how to do it, they just knew the motions to the words - no, really. Basically, I say "CHUL YUT!" (Attention!) and a few boys happily stand attention and "KYUNG NAE!" (I don't realy know what that means...salutation?) and then they bow to me.

I just realized I have been having some sort of trend with children bowing to me. WHen I was in high school we used to make our friend's little brother (who was 4 or 5) get up on the table on his knees and bow to us (like the way you worship something =X).... Um... he totally started doing it by himself... I think... but after a while we just kept making him do it. Well, I did HAHA. And of course, like my kindergarteners today, he did it with a big smile on his face, giggling.

Eh, twice isn't really a trend - so maybe if it happens a third I'll maybe think about looking back on myself.


I've only had two real incidents while on the job that required some sort of action:

While playing tag a chubby korean boy (I have no idea what his name is), and a skinny red-headed girl named Sophie collided into each other. I mean bumping heads is one thing...but when they made contact they were running so fast it sounded like someone slammed a heavy door. And to this noise OBVIOUSLY my sharp instinct and nurturing nature:

Laughed.

I mean it was only for 1 second. But it was pretty damn funny lol. And of course I handled the crying children. But I must reiterate it was awesome... that sounds wrong but I'll leave at like that.


The next was a little more...egh. After we had gone swimming I was tasked with a fellow volunteer to take the boys to change. The boys had done it before so they were just stripping down in different corners and putting on their dry clothes.

Except for one.

He had no problem getting naked. But then he just kinda of...fiddled with his junk for a little bit. At this my fellow volunteer asked: "Do you have to pee? Does anyone need to pee? We should go first if you have to." Very sensible. But the quiet bugger shook his head. So we told him to put his friggin underwear on.

So ever so slowly, stark naked, he began to put on his underwear. I began to continue my conversation with the other volunteer until we heard water dripping. And of course we look over and this kid has his underwear at his knees and he's going to town peeing all over the floor. I mean - it was funny cause he's peeing all over his leg/underwear/ground (and somehow he got it onto the table? It was one of those baby tables for little kids but still he got it onto the table? lol) And he just kinda looks at the ground at his pee and slowly looks up to meet our gaze.

AHh! So we have to clean this kid up. Andrew (the other volunteer) is trying to wrap the towel around the kid so he doesn't have to walk around the hall butt naked but the kid wants to wear the towel like a cape. So he keeps wrapping him and the kid keeps exposing himself lol. He was.... pretty clueless to say the least. Usually kids cry or something when they have accidents like that...but he just...didn't care!




I don't remember having any accidents at school - the only one I remember was this kid named Tae Ho pooped his pants and sat on it through an Aladin movie in 2nd grade.

Other then that things are really smooth/routine. But yeah - if a kid's naked and fiddling with his junk... I think it's safe to say it means he has to pee. =D

3 comments:

Particulars said...

When I taught in Korea, I noticed the students at an early age learn how to do this before their teachers. The class leader says "chalyut" or however you pronounce that and then all the students say something and the kyeong ne. So, I don't think it's because of you ;)

Taking care of kindergarteners and first graders is hard work! Do you have CPR certification and are a certified lifeguard?! Do they have one on the premises? You do not want to have that kind of responsibility on your hands if a kid starts drowning. . .

Jung Paek said...

This post was really funny. You're a pretty good story teller.

steve bang said...

Did they know they were hiring a pedophile to watch after their children?